Dermal fillers like JUVÉDERM are popular with Baton Rouge locals and celebrities alike. They are an effective way to rejuvenate the face and plump up your skin—all without the need for surgery. Our team of experts has helped countless people fade imperfections and restore a youthful look.
Interested in treatment but don’t know what to expect? Here are the basics you should know before heading into your first filler appointment.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable treatments used to correct common signs of aging. The product is a gel-like substance that is injected directly under the skin. Fillers are used to smooth wrinkles, restore volume, and enhance your overall facial features. At our practice, we offer a variety of dermal fillers for your unique needs:
- JUVÉDERM®: Volumizes and lifts skin around the cheeks, jawline, and temples. Also plumps and adds fullness to the lips, diminishes smile lines, and reduces other fine lines on the face.
- Restylane®: Improves the apperance of fine lines and wrinkles around the lips. Adds volume to the deeper lines on the face, such as the nasolabial folds.
- RADIESSE®: Reduces the apperance of moderate to severe lines in the face and hands by stimulating production of your natural collagen.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dermal Fillers?
These products work well for nearly anyone interested in erasing facial wrinkles or adding volume to the lips, cheeks, and eye area. Most of the fillers we use are made with the same type of compounds that are found naturally in the body, but we take extra precautions for those with allergies or sensitivities.
Your First Filler Appointment: What To Expect
Your filler journey begins with an initial consultation to discuss your goals, which areas you would like to treat, and any additional concerns you may have. Your provider will then analyze your face and suggest the proper filler option for your needs. Together, you and your provider can create a custom treatment plan to ensure all your expectations are met. That plan may include combining dermal fillers with BOTOX® or other popular anti-aging treatments.
At the start of the procedure, your provider will carefully inspect your skin and mark strategic points on your face. These injection sites are then cleaned with an antibacterial agent, and a topical numbing agent is applied. Once the target locations are prepared, your provider will then inject the filler into the proper areas. Most fillers include an anesthetic in them, which numbs the skin, but you may still feel a slight “pinch” during each injection.
Your provider will continue to inject, massage, and evaluate your skin until your final look is complete. The entire process typically takes 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the number of areas you’re having treated.
You can return to your regular activities immediately after treatment. You may experience some slight swelling, bruising, or soreness in the treated area 24 to 48 hours after your session. You can easily treat any discomfort with an ice pack or over-the-counter pain medication. Delay strenuous physical activity for a few days to give your skin time to recover.
Final results will develop over the course of a few days as the swelling subsides and the product settles into place. Depending on the type of filler used, your new look can last between several months and two years.
Dermal Filler Tips
- Start Small: When first starting dermal fillers, consider beginning with a small amount of filler. If you like the look of your results, you can build up to a larger amont over time. Your provider will help guide you toward the proper amount of product for your aesthetic goals.
- Swollen Face? Don’t Panic: A little bit of swelling is a common side effect of injectables. If you’re getting lip injections, your lips may appear “overfull” immedately after treatment. Don’t worry—this swelling will fade after a few days as your final results develop.
- Results Aren’t Permanent: Dermal fillers are absorbed by the body and eventually fade over time. This makes them a popular choice among those who want to “test drive” a new look before commiting to more dramatic procedures. However, even if you wish to reverse your results sooner than later, our providers can help. A different injectable (hyaluronidase) can break down products that use hyaluronic acid such as JUVÉDERM and Restylane fillers.
Dermal fillers are a trusted, easy way to plump up your skin and give a youthful boost to your appearance. If you’re interested in fillers, be sure to find an experienced injector you can trust.
If you have any questions about dermal fillers, injectables, or other medical spa services at our Baton Rouge area offices, request a consultation. You can also contact our practice by phone at (225) 399-0001.