Once Dr. Weiler has completed your tummy tuck surgery, he will apply a number of bandages or dressing to the areas where incisions have been made. After this extra layer of elastic bandages or a compression garment may be applied to help reduce the amount of swelling you might experience and to provide much-needed support for your abdomen during the healing and recovery time. Depending on the extent of the surgery, Dr. Weiler may also insert drains (small diameter tubes) under the skin to drain off any excess fluid and blood that might collect in the area.
You Will Be Given Instructions
After the tummy tuck surgery is complete and you are ready to go home, you will receive a set of very specific care instructions to follow. It is very important for you to follow these instructions very carefully, if you have any questions, you can ask Dr. Weiler or one of his assistants. You can also call our office if the questions come up after you have returned to your home. These instructions will cover subjects such as:
- How to take care of the drain tubes and the surgical site itself
- Which medications you need to apply to the wound site and when they need to be applied
- Which oral medications you need to take and when to take them
- What you should be looking for at the site of the surgery as well as any changes to your overall health
- When you need to follow up with Dr. Weiler and his staff
Questions You Might Want to Ask
In order for you to better understand the recovery process, there are a number of questions you should be prepared to ask during your initial consultation. While we are sure you probably already have a good idea of the questions you have in mind, here are a few that you may not have thought of but should be to ensure you can make an informed decision about having a tummy tuck.
- What medications will I be prescribed?
- When will the bandages be taken off?
- When will the stitches be ready to come out?
- Will I be able to bathe and how long do I have to wait?
- When will I be able to resume my normal activities?
For the answers to these and many other questions, we recommend you schedule your free initial consultation with Dr. Weiler and his staff at your earliest convenience.
Leave a Reply